Wednesday 3 September 2008

Come on Tigers

Poor Bangladesh. Turn up in Australia and get given games in Darwin. Don't get me wrong - been there and it's quite a nice town but it's not exactly the same as playing at the SCG.

I was hoping for a repeat of Cardiff 2005 at least once in this series. Being a fan of England over the years means I'm a big supporter of the under-dogs. With Ponting, Lee, Symonds and Hayden absent for various reasons and the talent in the Bangladesh batting line-up (Ashraful and Iqbal) and their experienced bowlers (Kapali and Mortaza) it was a possibility that they could win one.

Unfortunately they have been hammered. The batsmen have looked confused by the Aussie pacemen and their bowlers were given no chance in the last game where they had to defend 117. On top of that they've made Michael Clarke look good as captain. While I don't find him quite as irritating as Miss Field does he's not my favourite person in world cricket. So come on Bangladesh!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if they've made Clarke look good as a captain, but the've made him look ordinary as a batsman.

Unknown said...

The batsmen just look village against the Australian bowling line up, and it's not even that great. I saw the match you talk about (or atleast the highlights) and a few had a go, one or two making 30 or so but on the whole they just didn't know what to do. It truly shows the massive gap between the best and the worst of the cricketing nations.

Anonymous said...

If my own team is not playing, I invariably will find supporting the underdogs.

Sorry Aussies, it is not intentional - if you ever start as underdogs (!) you'll will surely find me rooting for you.

Cricket is a strange game, would you agree?

DreamDancer said...

Kym - that's a pretty fair point. The way Bangladesh have played has meant it's not been too hard for the Aussies to pick up wickets and they have managed to make Clarke look pretty average with the bat - 25 runs off 66 balls in the last game.

t - While the Aussies are not as far ahead of the rest of the world as they were a few years ago the weaker teams are still too far behind. I'm not too sure what can be done about it though apart from improving their domestic game and giving them continued international experience.

Chinaman - I tend to do the same no matter what sport I'm watching.